The IRS May Owe You a Refund! Let’s Talk About Off-Road Purposes

off-road vehicle tax refund
June 5, 2019 0 Comments

If you’re a business that’s operating in the United States, you may have extra cash owed to you that you don’t even know about!

This fact may include businesses involved in the following:

  • Refrigerated trucks
  • Produce
  • Meat distributors
  • Seafood companies
  • Ice companies
  • Ice cream deliveries
  • Flowers
  • Chocolate
  • Fruits
  • Off-Road purposes

The similarity between these businesses is they all involve some cooling and refrigeration or are involved in using gasoline for off-road purposes. Refrigerated trucks that operate in cities require fuel to operate their refrigeration units.

One of the important aspects of this is the federal and state governments have taxed the fuel that’s purchased. These taxes are used to help repair or replace the transportation infrastructure that’s found all across America.

You May Be Owed a Refund

There’s no way around getting taxed by both government entities when you purchase gasoline for your refrigeration units or off-road vehicles like boats and golf carts. All of these items are not contributing to any wear and tear on the state or federal roads.

The government recognizes this rule and allows you to get a refund for being taxed on the gasoline you’ve purchased for off-road items or purposes such as refrigeration.

To do this, you’re going to need to keep an accurate accounting of the actual amount of fuel you use for these purposes.

Equipment and Fuel Usage

If your business is paying a fair amount for fuel, it’s worth your time to see if you are eligible to receive a refund from the federal government.

Any taxes on fuel purchases that you have made which do not go toward state or federal road use are owed back to you.

If you’re running a business that is purchasing a large amount of fuel each month for off-road purposes, the amount of money you might get back could be quite significant.

A Few Examples

Two good examples of potential TiP clients are businesses that operate golf courses or refrigerated trucks.

If you have a fleet of trucks that haul perishable products, it’s necessary to keep these items refrigerated. For golf course businesses, you pay a fair amount for gasoline to run golf carts on your course.

Typically, both of these scenarios indicate these businesses should receive money back for their off-road gas usage.

Getting Help from an Expert

One interesting aspect of this type of refund is that CPAs usually don’t know about it. If you are involved in a business that’s been taxed, your CPA isn’t the expert to talk to.

You’ll need to use the expertise of TiP, which offers a no risk service to get you paid back money that you deserve.

You’ll have to provide us with a list of equipment and fuel usage. This allows our team to fill out forms and query the IRS.

If your business is eligible for a refund, you’ll get paid! If you’re ready to get started, contact us today!

Image attribution.

Article Name
The IRS May Owe You a Refund If Your Business Is Involved in Off-Road Purposes
If your business is found to be eligible for a refund, you'll get paid, and TiP will take a small cut for our assistance. If you're ready to get started, contact us today!